Monday, March 12, 2012

Why can't I sell my cupcakes?

Okay. So I live in a small town in Central California. I am trying to get my cupcake business off the ground, and it's proving to be very challenging!!!!! You see, I bake the best, gourmet cupcakes this side of Los Angeles, and no one wants to pay the money I'm asking! I've compared my pricing with close surrounding areas, not so close surrounding areas, and also the East Coast, where I purchased a dozen cupcakes for $30!!! Yes, this may sound expensive, but it's not just the cupcakes - it's the experience that you get while eating those wonderful, gorgeous looking edible works of art!



Folks in this town seem to be content to just go to the local grocery store or "big box" membership store, and buy those heavy, grease laden hockey pucks they call cupcakes. Mine are bursting with flavor, light, and made with the BEST ingredients possible, and my packaging is beautiful! I'm only charging $24.50 for a dozen, and $14.75 for a half dozen. There is definitely a market here, but competing with the $5.99/dozen grocery store brand and the $10/for 2 dozen "big box" store brand is killing me. Should I just give up??!!??!!?? I've been at this for over a year now, and I get an order here and there, but nothing consistent. I've supplied cupcakes for various occasions at work, with glowing, rave reviews.



Am I to come to the conclusion that these people are just cheap tightwads? I'm really passionate about this, and it's just not happening. Any suggestions?Why can't I sell my cupcakes?
first advertise your *** off, seconder advertise them at 2 dollars per cup cake, it sounds A LOT cheaper. and you might have 2 cut your prices. like i KNOW it dosnt cost you 2 dollars to make a cup cake, drop your prices, it might not be what you want to do, but selling 100 cup cakes a day with only a 15% profit margin is still better then selling 5 a day with a 30% margin. and try and maybe sell more then just cup cakes. not everyone wants a cup cake when their in the mood for something sweet. and i don't mean 2 be harsh, but if u can only make cup cakes, then your in the wrong business. u gotta be able 2 do alot of things, and meat your customers needs, and wants.
In this economy, people are not going to pay that price for cupcakes. Your product would sell if it was the 90's. No matter how gourmet or beautifully packed they are, cupcakes are just not worth that price! For 30 dollars I can buy organic fruit and vegetables to last a week or more. Cupcakes are just not that important.Why can't I sell my cupcakes?
there will always be some idiots who will buy your product at those high prices. i agree you have wonderful ingredients in yours and they look like works of art. but real people who are not trendy or just plain stupid won't be buying your product. you know who they are and where they live.



bake good tasty muffins, price them near their cost of production. advertise them and they will sell.
honey i hate to break it to ya but that IS expensive for some cupcakes! 24.50?!?!? wow! never in my life! try lowering your price and see what happens! look this is how i see it its better than selling cupcakes for a lower price than selling no cupcakes at all! :) good luck hun!
You are learning all about economics. You can price your products 25 -50% above local prices, but 400% won't work. Sorry, but you are just too expensive.
stop thinking about customers as tightwads. that might be a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment